Friday, October 19, 2007

La Palma Chicken Pot Pie Bakery & Restaurant, Anaheim, CA

At one point in our lives, we all had chicken pot pie, in one form or another. Whether it be from a chain eatery or out of the microwave, courtesy of [insert food manuf company here]. But none of those compare to the chicken pot pie I had over at the La Palma's CPPB & R.

Located just south of La Palma Avenue, this unique bakery has been cranking out cpp's since Disneyland first opened: thats 58 years ago, folks.



Upon entering, you are faced w/ a counter full of baked goods, chicken pot pie included, as well as various baked good. I neglected to take a picture. I must not rush in to settle down, even when I am starving. To the right is the dining area, where I was given a menu to seat myself down. Shortly after, my order was taken, I got the chicken pot pie + salad/(soup)/coleslaw + whipped mashed potatoes, and not even did I get a chance to notice the color of the ceiling, my 1st items came up.



Now, knowing I was at a cpp shop, I should have gotten their chicken noodle soup. But like an idiot, I got their clam chowder soup, red style. Frankly, clam chowder is one of those things I am critical about (I don't know why) and this soup was just ok to me. Next time, Watson... next time. The bread had a distinct taste to it. There was a slight hint of "old oven" smell to it which I liked and actually savored.

Then came my cpp and whipped mashed potatoes.



The standard pie is the dark meat. White meat is available, for a little extra. The crust was flaky and light and buttery. Even though it was sitting in the gravy, it was still crunchy down to the last bite. Chicken was incredibly moist, and big chunks were everywhere. Whipped potatoes were very soft and buttery as well. And there were no lumps. It was strange to find no lumps.
But then again, its whipped.

And while I was at a bakery, I snagged a cherry pie.



There wasn't anything particular about this pie. I should have gotten something more of their specialty, but at least I know.

The cpp, soup, bread, and whipped potatoes were just $5. What? A full meal for only $5? A true bargain for some homestyle cpp. You can also get the cpp's to go, via their bakery as well.

La Palma Chicken Pot Pie Bakery & Restaurant
928 N. Euclid Street
Anaheim, CA
714-533-2021
M~Sa 9:00am to 8:30pm
Su Closed.

Comments on "La Palma Chicken Pot Pie Bakery & Restaurant, Anaheim, CA"

Blogger Kat said ... (October 19, 2007 at 4:31 PM) : 

OMG I drive past there all the time and I didn't even know Chicken Pot Pie Bakery and Restaurant was even there. The picture of your mashed potatoes and CPP looks so good and for $5, a freaking bargain. I know where I'm going next week to eat.

Thanks for letting me know I was passing by such a great deal.
I feel enlightened :)

Blogger melissac. said ... (October 20, 2007 at 11:56 AM) : 

This place is heavenly, I love it. They have a great combo for like $7 with soup + salad + potato + pot pie + dessert. Their chicken noodle soup is the best I've ever had; It's a cure-all. I always go here when I'm sick after I decided that I probably SHOULD drag my ass to class. This place is amazing, and I always like being the youngest person here by like 20 years.

Blogger Vegasbuff said ... (October 20, 2007 at 5:43 PM) : 

Great deal for the money.

Blogger Chubbypanda said ... (October 23, 2007 at 11:11 AM) : 

Oh man, that looks good.

Blogger elmomonster said ... (October 27, 2007 at 1:46 PM) : 

Still on my list, but I figure I can wait another 50 years, and it'll still be there.

Blogger Bill said ... (October 30, 2007 at 12:40 PM) : 

I really need to swing by

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 18, 2009 at 8:07 AM) : 

We ate there as kids - way back in the late 1950's. We lived right around the corner basically. Their pie's were the best.

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (February 17, 2010 at 11:27 AM) : 

This was the worst chicken pot pie I've ever had in my life.
It was bland, bland, bland.
I had to use salt and pepper to give it some taste.
The price was great, but it was reflected in the meal.
If you like bland food, than this place is for you.
I give it the two thumbs down.

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (February 17, 2010 at 11:32 AM) : 

Don't know what people see in this place.
A friend said, you should go for the ambiance, but I found this place dark, cold, and dirty.
Yeah, the price is low, but that's no excuse for serving cheap meals.

Anonymous Restaurant Coupons Naples said ... (September 30, 2010 at 1:50 AM) : 

The King and Thai restaurant in St. Petersburg has EXCELLENT Thai and Sushi. .... Chicken Pot Pie is a specialty of the house that many people call ahead for, .... of this small but popular eatery in south Tampa's Palma Ceia. ... way with our dressings, soups, bakery and dessert items made daily. ...

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (April 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM) : 

For years my husband and I go there once or twice while on vacation for there Fried chicken and their Chicken Noodle Soup (yummy) Wished he would franchise and come up to Canada.

Post a Comment