Sunday, July 1, 2007

Tony's Little Italy Pizza



Having just won the 2007 AOL City Guide Dining Out Contest for the Best Pizza in Orange County I really wasn’t sure what to think. Many times, when a restaurant wins an award as voted by the “locals” it usually screams out mediocre at best, but I was willing to give Tony’s Little Italy Pizza a try.

Hotly debated about the authenticity of their deep dish pizza on Chowhound, was there any debate about what to get? I have read mixed things about Tony’s but mostly positive.

The restaurant is very small and is adorned with wall to wall Chicago sports team memorabilia. There is even a hand painted overhead picture of Wrigley Field to help get you into that Wrigleyville state of mind.

I ordered a Canadian Bacon and Mushroom Stuffed Pizza. This is the classic Chicago style deep dish pizza. The crust was a nice golden brown and had a nice crunch on both the bottom and sides. There was also a distinct buttery flavor to the crust. When I asked the owner if they used butter in their dough, my query was quickly cast aside.

The bottom crust is a fairly thick layer upon which mounds of cheese are layered. The toppings are then placed on the top of cheese. I was sort of dismayed by the amount of toppings that were placed on the pizza. For a pizza of this magnitude, with its thick crust and huge amounts of cheese, a fairly substantial amount of toppings should be added to balance out the pizza. Sadly this was not the case. The Canadian Bacon was sliced pretty thing and was hit and miss on the pizza, some slices had a good amount of it while others had barely of whisper of any. The use of fresh mushrooms was nice to see. I am not particularly fond of the canned mushrooms that some places use. Again, the rather meager amount of toppings seemed to get lost in the huge pool of cheese.

The toppings are then layered with tomato sauce and once the pizza is finished cooking a light sprinkling of parmesan finishes everything off. The tomato sauce had a nice acidic kick to it and the perfect amount of sauce was placed atop the pizza. I could taste both oregano and basil mixed into the sauce which added a nice herbal punch.

This pizza must be eaten in small bites. With the huge amounts of cheese on it, I almost choked several times when big melted cheese balls got stuck in my throat. Now I know what a cat feels like when hacking up hair balls. I think the addition of more toppings would help alleviate this problem. The large pizza is pretty substantial. You could probably make 3-4 meals out of pretty easily.

Overall this is a pretty good pizza. I’m not sure if I would go out of my way to eat here, but if I was in the neighborhood and felt like having pizza this would be a great option.


Tony’s Little Italy Pizza
1808 N. Placentia Avenue, Unit B
Placentia, CA 92870
(714) 528-5159

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Tony's Little Italy Pizza"

Blogger brekkie_fan said ... (July 2, 2007 at 12:32 AM) : 

Totally worth the drive. I ate 3 slices on the way back to Irvine. Man, was that pizza box heavy!

Blogger Vegasbuff said ... (July 2, 2007 at 1:35 PM) : 

brekkie_fan,

If you can put away 3 slices, in the car no less, you have a serious appetite, LOL. This pizza is very messy unless its cold. I may give Tony's another try since I'm sort of in the area once a week. I just wish they would put more toppings on the pizza so that it doesn't get lost amongst the cheese and crust.

Blogger brekkie_fan said ... (July 4, 2007 at 12:25 AM) : 

hey vegasbuff,

i'm a crust fan, go figure. it was very amusing to see me with a knife and fork as my fiance drove. which reminds me....i'm in Brea tomorrow. wonder if they will be open?

Blogger Vegasbuff said ... (July 4, 2007 at 1:49 PM) : 

I thought you were eating the pizza while driving, LOL. That would have been some feat!

Blogger Chubbypanda said ... (July 17, 2007 at 11:04 PM) : 

Vegasbuff,

You hit the nail on the head. A good deep dish pizza should have hefty toppings to match the hefty crust. Otherwise, you end up practically drinking the sauce.

Blogger Vegasbuff said ... (July 18, 2007 at 9:26 AM) : 

CP,

There actually wasn't that much sauce. I just felt that the cheese to topping ration was off. The limited amount of toppings were just swimming in a vast pool of cheese.

Post a Comment