Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Merhaba

Merhaba Restaurant
(714) 826-8859
2801 W Ball Rd Ste 5
Anaheim, CA 92804
Official Site
Yahoo! Local Listing

Here's some pictures from when I met up with ElmoMonster and Joy and Carter at Merhaba East African Restaurant in Anaheim about a week or so ago. If the thought of "African" food instantly turns you off (and I'm not saying it does) then just trust me that it's not as foreign as it seems like it will be. The only thing that's a little unusual is that you use strips of injera bread (almost like a pancake that's not as sweet) to pick your food up with. We all shared the #20 combo for four people which is a sampling of meat and vegetarian dishes with two kinds of beef, spicy chicken, stewed in the house hot sauce, served with hard boiled eggs, red split lentils simmered in onion and herbs, spinach, okra, carrots, bell pepper, string beans and broccoli.











Image hosting courtesy of Image Shack

Comments on "Merhaba"

Blogger Wandering Chopsticks said ... (June 5, 2007 at 10:59 PM) : 

So what's your verdict? Does it taste any different from Ethiopian cuisine? While the wots and veggies are OK, the injera either makes or breaks it for me. I don't like it when it's too fermented and sour.

Blogger Chubbypanda said ... (June 5, 2007 at 11:28 PM) : 

Waaaa! I wanted to go! *sniff*

I really regret not being to make it. I think Joy and I are planning another trip for when her schedule and Carter's free up. We're gonna try the spicy fare! =D

Blogger ChristianZ said ... (June 6, 2007 at 12:54 AM) : 

Well, I've never had Ethiopian cuisine before so I can't compare it. But I don't remember the injera being too fermented or sour.

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 25, 2007 at 10:20 AM) : 

To answer Wandering Chopsticks' question, it tasted just like Ethiopian cuisine to me, at least the dishes that we had. They called the dishes something else, but they tasted the same...

The injera was definitely not too sour -- but maybe I'm a poor judge, because I like my injera a little sour.

And yeah, CB, we're definitely going back for the SPICY version when I get back from Germany!

Post a Comment