Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Counter (Burger) coming to Irvine

I have control issues. The kind of person who admires Meg Ryan in "When Harry Met Sally", but won't insult a chef by modifying his masterpieces. I'll examine the menu (thank goodness for online menus and faxing!) until something catches my fancy. Mom always said I was picky, and I'm proud of it. I'll just call it refined.

I was excited when I saw the newest addition to Irvine suburbia taking shape, Woodbury Town Center. I spied a Chick Fil-A, Trader Joes, El Pollo Loco, and even Panera Bread. Apparently, two of everything in the same city is the new black.

What I did not anticipate or spot initially was The Counter. A place where I call the shots. BYO Burger, baby. A clipboard outlines the 5 step process. Choose your patty (weight, too), cheese, topping, sauce, and bun. Of course, you can have more than just one of any attribute. And for those with sensory overload you can just go with some of their signature items. The original Counter is in Santa Monica, and they've started franchising this year.

I'm probably the only one excited. That just means less of a wait when it opens.
Summer 2007 says the website. I'll be there.

Labels: ,

Comments on "The Counter (Burger) coming to Irvine"

Blogger elmomonster said ... (April 19, 2007 at 7:33 AM) : 

You're not the only one excited. I've been eyeing this place too. I'll race you there!

BTW, welcome!

Blogger Julian Hsu said ... (April 19, 2007 at 1:09 PM) : 

So this is the one that's insanely crowded in Santa Monica, with a scene that's more than a match for its burgers? I guess my only hope is that their franchise plans look like Krispy Kreme redux, so there's bound to be some point where I don't have to wait in a massive line. :P

p.s. Nice first post! :D

Blogger Chubbypanda said ... (April 19, 2007 at 4:45 PM) : 

Welcome to the neighborhood, brekkie_fan! I look forward to reading more great posts.

Blogger Deb said ... (April 19, 2007 at 8:12 PM) : 

VEry cool! I'll try to check it out tomorrow.
Ordering a meal the way you want it, (regardless of what or where) should NOT be a privilege!)

Amen!

Blogger Bill said ... (April 20, 2007 at 10:08 AM) : 

where in irvine?

Blogger brekkie_fan said ... (April 20, 2007 at 10:04 PM) : 

nhbilly,

Plaza at corner of Irvine Blvd & Sand Canyon.

Blogger Bill said ... (April 22, 2007 at 2:06 PM) : 

thanks brekkie!

I don't usually travel that way for lunch during work too crowded.

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (November 14, 2007 at 11:40 AM) : 

THE COUNTER IN IRVINE IS OPENING ON NOVEMBER 20TH 2007!!!
BE THERE!!!!
YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY BURGERS!
COUNTER CULTURE

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (November 22, 2007 at 10:56 PM) : 

Yes, Yes, Yes, I have just changed my daily routine from Work, Workout (at LA Fitness) and home for more work - TO - Work, TheCounter, Work, TheCounter, Workout, TheCounter, Home and Back to the TheCounter for a nightcap. I think I am addicted. I need help... !!

- Jay

Blogger Unknown said ... (November 25, 2007 at 5:38 PM) : 

Well....it had to happen sometime.
Being an LA native and having been so happy at the Counter in Santa Monica, I anxiously waited for the new store to open. We tried 3 times and each time they had not yet met the deadline to open. Today was to be the day, and to top it off, I got a coupon in the mail for a free burger for the wife.
Well.....I am so sorry to say........IT SUCKED!!!
First, everyone working there is 12 years old. No, that's a lie...the GM is 16. They have music blaring, not like fun Jonny Rockets loud but Blaring Rap/ Hip Hop, whatever. My kid said "its way too loud so we opted for "to go" and took it outside. Well, after 20 minutes for 3 burgers and fries, it all arrived. 3 RAW, yeah..i'm talking like a bloody ground up flesh ball. I'm a Medium Rare at Mostro's or Ruth's Chris any day, but not bloody red burgers.
And...those fries looked great but they were cold, not like unwarm but like they had them resting on the for conditioner for 10 minutes.
So bummed. I have needed a great burger in OC and this place is a "jetsons" version of the original, without the delivery of great food. I hope they make it 6 months and get things smoothed out so I can try again. I'm guessing that it's a Pasta Bravo or Baja Fresh within a year.

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (November 28, 2007 at 9:49 AM) : 

Maybe you should give them I little more time to get organized. I think that when a concept is new, even if you have experienced employees it's going to take a few days to get everything dialed in. You would have to assume that every employee is new to the Counter since the only other one is in Santa Monica. I ate there on opening night and have to say that my burger tasted great. I did have to wait awhile but I anticipated that since the place was so packed. I did hear the General Manager talking to a guest and he's almost 40. Maybe it's the burgers that keep him looking young :)

Anonymous Dance Studio said ... (August 25, 2010 at 7:10 PM) : 

The Counter has a new take on burger toppings that will change the burger world. The fried egg and black bean salsa toppings are a must-try!

Post a Comment