Sunday, March 11, 2007

Monte Cristo Sandwich Blue Bayou



Years ago I took a trip to El Paso, Texas to visit relatives. One of the most exciting things I talked about when I returned (other than the incredibly cheap happy hours) was the Monte Cristo Sandwich. The sandwich is stuffed with ham, turkey, and cheese, dipped in batter and deep fried. After given a dusting of powdered sugar the glorious concoction is then served with strawberry preserves. For years I had been trying to track down a Monte Cristo Sandwich as good as the one I had in El Paso. I located one at the Jolly Rogers Hotel in Anaheim and it was good, but not great. I tried to get one at The Tartan Room in Orange, only to discover that they only serve 'em up on the weekdays from 11:00-2:00 (which is when I'm usually at work).

Imagine my surprise when someone told me that the best Monte Cristo Sandwich is served at The Blue Bayou restaurant in Disneyland......you know that restaurant you see when you board the Pirates of the Carribean ride. I had a hard time believing that, seeing as I've never had a good meal at Disneyland. I haven't had time to make it down to the theme park lately, but was pleased when I found a recipe in the Orange County Register last week! It's simple and delicious. Here's the recipe...

Monte Cristo Sandwich Blue Bayou

Batter
2/3 c. water
1 small egg
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. white pepper
few drops yellow food coloring
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 3/4 t. baking powder
Place water, egg, salt, pepper and food coloring in a bowl and using an electric mixer, mix well at low speed. Add flour and baking powder and mix until batter is smooth. Chill. Makes enough for 4 sandwiches.

Sandwiches
8 slices white bread
4 slices turkey (1 oz. each)
4 slices swiss cheese
4 slices Pullman ham
Make 4 sandwiches, putting cheese between hand and turkey. Cut into fourths and put a toothpick through each quarter.
Final Preparation:
soybean or vegetable oil for frying
Confectioners' sugar
currant jelly or strawberry preserve

Recipe

Heat about 6-inches of oil to 340F in a fryer. Dip sandwiches in batter to cover all surfaces. Deep fry sandwiches until golden brown, turning as needed. Remove from oil, take out toothpicks, sprinkle sandwiches with confectioners' sugar. Serve with currant jelly or strawberry preserve and fries.

Blue Bayou is located in New Orleans Square in Disneyland (the moonlit dining terrace that overlooks Laffite's Landing, entry to the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction)

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Monte Cristo Sandwich Blue Bayou"

Blogger melissac. said ... (March 13, 2007 at 9:22 AM) : 

The Monte Cristo Sandwich is also sold (for a slightly lower price, and all day, where at the Bayou it's only served on the lunch menu until 4) at Cafe Orleans, a new casual sit-down restaurant right across the street from the Blue Bayou. I should know, I work there! :)

Blogger Chubbypanda said ... (March 16, 2007 at 1:07 PM) : 

I love Monte Cristos. Good ones were hard to find. You have to strike the right balance between all of the ingredients.

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (April 14, 2015 at 7:25 PM) : 

i have been trying to track down the monte cristo sandwich served at Jolly Rogers..since 2002. We are going to DL nxt month and i was so anxious for my sandwich..but jolly roger had closed. I googled the whole sandwich and came upon this blog.. Will probably have 1 each day :) and the recipe too. awesomeness

Post a Comment