Thursday, February 12, 2009

Rockin' Crepes

8943 Atlanta Ave
Huntington Beach, CA 92646
(VONS Shopping Center)
(714) 536-9100

DSCF6093

I don't eat crepes too often but I've been craving one since driving to Genki Living in Irvine and finding them closed down. But I never expected that my next crepe would come from a heavy metal-themed place.

DSCF6094

You don't have to like heavy metal to eat here but if you do it sure enhances the experience. On my first visit I was overwhelmed with the amount of choices. They've got about thirty different crepe choices and they are all named after heavy metal bands. Some are breakfast crepes and some are lunch or dinner crepes and some are dessert crepes but they are not broken out into separate sections on the menu. After much deliberation I finally picked the Pantera crepe:

DSCF6095

This crepe is like a pizza, filled with thin sliced pepperoni, provolone cheese and fresh tomatoes. Everything about this crepe was thin and I hear cooking experts say that thin things piled up tend to taste better than a couple big thick lumps of stuff and I tend to agree; something about increasing the surface area of the food to tantalize your taste buds. I imagine Dime Bag Darrell is enjoying a Pantera crepe right now . . . wherever he is.

DSCF6100

Each crepe comes with a side of fresh fruit or macaroni salad. Having a little room left in my stomach for another crepe to jump into I ordered a White Zombie crepe. You can see Brett here making it:

DSCF6101


DSCF6102
You, too, can sit on one of the Mötley Crüe stools


And here's the White Zombie crepe, filled with dark chocolate, thin sliced banana, and strawberry slivers. When I was done with this I felt "more human than a human."

DSCF6103

Having been open only about three months I was told that Rockin' Crepes has already had at least one celebrity visit by none other than C.C. DeVille, guitarist for Poison. Maybe they can start a Heavy Metal Walk of Fame outside their storefront, which I thought used to be where the Happy Burrito was but I was told it used to be a GameStop.

On my second visit I had a load of friends (and even a couple relatives) along for the ride. Rhett couldn't wait to show off his Iron Maiden-inspired Less Than Jake shirt alongside the Eddie chair:

DSCF6113


DSCF6115
The nutritional info is right on the wall on top of the Marshall stacks


They also have coffees, Italian sodas, tea, hot chocolate, and smoothies at Rockin' Crepes. Here's Scott with a Hendrix smoothie and Jake (not of "Less Than" fame) with a Testament smoothie:

DSCF6119

Oh, they also have several different fondue selections. Our group finished up with the White Lion fondue that came with graham crackers, bananas, Nilla wafers, strawberries, and marshmallows to dip into the hot white chocolate:

DSCF6128

My only question is: where's the Spinal Tap crepe?

Whether or not you like heavy metal music Rockin' Crepes is worth checking out for their professionally made crepes, fresh ingredients and friendly staff.

Click here for the complete photo album (32 photos) at flickr.

Comments on "Rockin' Crepes"

Blogger elmomonster said ... (February 12, 2009 at 4:49 PM) : 

Nice review Christian!

Blogger Julian Hsu said ... (February 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM) : 

Definitely a nice review! My wife has been looking for crepes, and quite frankly, we didn't much care for the Genki Living style.

Any chance these crepes are thinner and crispier? More crepe-like, less pancake-y?

Blogger ChristianZ said ... (February 12, 2009 at 5:01 PM) : 

Well, I thought they were quite crepe-like. The one time I went to Genki Living it was just about three years ago so I can't compare the two places but I felt that Rockin' Crepes had done it well. I'd be interested in seeing what a crepe connoisseur has to say about them.

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (February 14, 2009 at 10:15 PM) : 

great review!

wow I've never seen a heavy metal themed restaurant before.. seems pretty interesting.
I'll definitely have to check it out whenever I'm in HB.

Blogger dealinhoz said ... (March 27, 2009 at 5:35 PM) : 

The crepes look good but the decor looks like it's been built by that Monster Garage guy on the Discovery Channel.

Blogger ChristianZ said ... (March 27, 2009 at 6:36 PM) : 

I think it's supposed to look like that.

Anonymous Shelly Borrell said ... (June 9, 2009 at 12:55 AM) : 

Thanks for the great information. I can't wait to go there. What a cool place. Do they play the song that corresponds with the Crepe? I hope so. The Crepes look good too.

Thanks, Shelly
Nibbles of Tidbits

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 2, 2009 at 9:33 AM) : 

dont much like how they do business, asked us to work for them, project complete and no response from owner.

Blogger Carrol Spencer said ... (July 22, 2009 at 8:49 PM) : 

Well,I am very much pleased with there thoughts and can't express my views because they all have said every thing.
Carrol spncr
blogging for a living

Blogger Unknown said ... (September 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Unknown said ... (September 2, 2009 at 8:48 AM) : 

Crapes are my thing. Favs of the morning. Put them with a comfortable background and I am in. Service is a little slow, but I supose perfection takes time. Love sitting at a different themed table each time. Always seeing something I missed the time before. Friendly service and comfortable surroundings.

Pez.

Anonymous Juliette @ Carpet Cleaning Orange County said ... (June 15, 2011 at 9:11 AM) : 

My neighbors kids are always making crepes. They brought me one and for some reason they don't taste like how my mother made them when I was a kid. So its nice to see there is some where for me to have them I look forward to Rockin" Crepes to try theirs out. I will check back to give you my opinion soon.

Anonymous Jual Pakaian Dalam Wanita said ... (November 20, 2014 at 11:05 PM) : 

Nice food and Nice Restourant konsep
Visit me too in
Jual Pakaian Dalam Wanita and Jual Lingerie

Post a Comment