Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Taco Time - Orange

Yesterday I went to lunch at a local Mexican food establishment named The Taco Time. This isn't the same Taco Time made famous in the Saturday Night Live short. The Taco Time is a small Mexican mom and pop run restaurant located on the border of Anaheim and Orange in a small strip mall that includes both a pizza and a chicken teriyaki bowl joint. I'd passed by The Taco Time on numerous occasions and was curious to find out if it was the famous Northwest fast food establishment or something else.

Fortunate for me it was something else, since I didn't really feel like having Taco Bell for lunch. As their menu says they are, "The Place where you find the Authentic Mexican food"; capitalization aside I so far have to agree. Since this was my first visit I went with the old standby and just ordered a burrito. WAIT WAIT WAIT, burritos aren't Authentic Mexican food!!!! Eh who cares, it's authentic enough for gringos like me, and honestly what's better then a large tortilla filled with various items and covered with sauce and cheese? So I ordered the "Special Burrito" ($7.99); a large tortilla filled with chicken, refried beans, and rice that was topped with red sauce and cheese and served with a dollop of sour cream and a scoop of guacamole. The chicken was very tender as well as lightly seasoned from cooking in possibly some light tomato based sauce. That sauce it was cooked in very well could have been the same sauce served on my burrito that has a nice light spicy flavor. The guacamole was fresh and was every bit as good as guacamole can be. The burrito was good and more then enough for lunch. My one complaint is about the chips served before my burrito arrived, they tasted like normal store brand chips, nothing was inherently wrong with them I just enjoy fresh made chips when I go to small hole in the wall Mexican restaurants. The salsa served with the chips was ok, could have used some more flavor but I've had much worse and wouldn't turn it down if they gave me a bunch for free to take home.

Other things worth mentioning; They have a total of about 6 tables that fit 4 people at each, so it's not a very large place. I got there before 12 PM so I don't know how big of a lunch rush they get but considering the area (residential) they probably get some good dinner business. The restaurant was very clean and bright inside. I look forward to trying some more of their items.

The Taco Time
3209 N. Glassell St.
Orange, CA 92865
714-685-0051

Labels: , ,

Comments on "The Taco Time - Orange"

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 26, 2008 at 4:51 PM) : 

I honestly regret landing on your page. I am so hungry now. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! hahaha. Speaking about tacos. You love those tacos from Jack in the Box, don’t deny it.—the crispy goodness with the melted cheese, hot sauce and crisp lettuce on the inside.

With gas becoming more and more expensive, Jack wants to help you fill your stomach.

Bring any gas receipt to Jack in the Box TODAY and get two free tacos.

No gimmicks, no hidden fees, no purchase necessary—just two free tacos!

http://jackinthebox.com/twofreetacosday/index.php?Campaign=MW-TFT-B

Blogger brekkie_fan said ... (June 29, 2008 at 10:01 AM) : 

Thank you for expanding my curiosity past the lands of Irvine/Tustin. I've become too fixated at the very near and need a little change (and tasty Mex).

Anonymous Collin Floyd said ... (August 12, 2023 at 3:19 AM) : 

Lovely blog you havee

Post a Comment