Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Chippy

The Chippy Fish & Chips
2222 Michelson Dr. #216
Irvine, CA 92612
(949) 833-2322

DSCF6338
This is what you look for from Michelson

This is not a review per se but a quick augmentative followup to ElmoMonster's review of The Chippy on his Monster Munching site so go to his blog for the whole report. I read his report on Monday and since this place is close enough to where I live I headed there at dinner time and arrived at 6:23 only to find them closed even though they officially close at 6:30pm. Then I tried again on Tuesday, arriving at 5:42pm only to find them closed again. This was making my quest look more important to me than it was, but, hey, if it's close and they have good fish and chips why not give them a try?

DSCF6339
The view walking into the food court

This morning I decided to play the early bird so I showed up for lunch at 11:30am and amazingly they were open. I told them about my prior two failures to try their food and they apologized and said sometimes business is slow after business hours (understandable considering they are in a food court whose main object is to feed lunch to hungry businesspeople). They said to just call ahead if it's near the end of the day and they will stay open if they know you are coming . . . as long as you still arrive before 6:30pm.

DSCF6343
The most exciting picture ever

In short, this was a lot like the places I went to when I lived in Ireland, all of which were generically called, "the chippy." The owner here lived in England and brought his fish and chips knowledge back for us to enjoy. The only difference here is that this chippy didn't wrap their fish in several sheets of newspaper. Then again, the Belfast Telegraph is hard to come by in these parts.

DSCF6342
My #4 one-fish, one-shrimp combo

ElmoMonster's writeup here.

UPDATE: Here's a picture of when I went back a couple weeks later and got some fish again and some hush puppies:

DSCF6423

Comments on "The Chippy"

Blogger elmomonster said ... (March 18, 2009 at 8:40 PM) : 

So did you like it? Was it like the fish and chips you had at Ireland's chippies?

I can say the fish was just like the one I had in Christchurch, New Zealand....which is to say, awesome!

Blogger ChristianZ said ... (March 18, 2009 at 8:54 PM) : 

Yeah, I loved it. How'd they get the outside so crisp? When it first meets your teeth you think it's going to be too hard to bite but then it gives way and reveals the flaky goodness inside. And the workers there were very friendly.

Blogger ChristianZ said ... (March 18, 2009 at 9:01 PM) : 

I never say hush puppies in Ireland but I still want to try them at The Chippy sometime. The Irish chippies would focus on fish and chips but they'd have other interesting items like the fried sausages and hamburgers with corn relish, cucumber slices, and hard-boiled egg slices. You would also get a mound of chips, and I mean a HUGE enormous mound, which they would then douse with vinegar. The amount of chips I got today was like the scraps left over when I finished eating chips in Ireland. But I'm not mentioning this as a complaint because I still got enough today. This is bringing back my Ireland memories. Don't be surprised if I mention more. Some people said the fish in the Irish Sea got radiation poisoning from Chernobyl and would sometimes point to an orange hue in the otherwise white fish meat at the markets. You didn't see it all the time but you definitely came across it from time to time.

Anonymous Boba Tea said ... (April 14, 2009 at 9:48 AM) : 

well i am a food lover and your blog is in my fav list.

Blogger Cartoon Slinger said ... (September 16, 2009 at 10:32 PM) : 

Looks delicious. Can't wait to try it out!

Blogger Unknown said ... (November 30, 2009 at 4:39 AM) : 

thanks for such a wonderful tips To keep food healthy and neuters proper storage and environment is required that can be achieved by many products available like walk in freezers,grocery store refrigeration.http://www.bushrefrigeration.com/ is a good source for this………

Anonymous czelectric said ... (March 11, 2010 at 11:47 PM) : 

You would also get a mound of chips, and I mean a HUGE enormous mound, which they would then douse with vinegar. The amount of chips I got today was like the scraps left over when I finished eating chips in Ireland. But I'm not mentioning this as a complaint because I still got enough today.

Anonymous opium perfume said ... (August 4, 2010 at 10:04 PM) : 

This is bringing back my Ireland memories. Don't be surprised if I mention more. Some people said the fish in the Irish Sea got radiation poisoning from Chernobyl and would sometimes point to an orange hue in the otherwise white fish meat at the markets.
prada perfume
paris hilton perfume

Blogger Christopher Foerster said ... (April 28, 2011 at 6:35 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Christopher Foerster said ... (April 28, 2011 at 6:36 PM) : 

sounds delicious. I especially like it when the fish and chips are crispy on the outside.

Anonymous Juliette@ orange county carpet cleaning said ... (June 9, 2011 at 11:29 AM) : 

What a menu they have. Definitely looking forward to eating some awesome fish & chips here. Im on my way back east soon to visit family on the east coast and I alway order me some fish & chip. The resturants their always have the best fish & chips, so Im for sure going to try "The Chippy" out for myself.

Anonymous Jake said ... (October 18, 2011 at 11:32 AM) : 

I'm going to be visiting the OC and found your blog. I'm glad you posted the pic of the fish and chips, because I love ordering it but it's hard to find it done right. It looks like this place knows how to do the crust so that it's nice and crispy... not soggy! Thanks for the pic.

Blogger Unknown said ... (May 23, 2016 at 3:48 AM) : 

Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally? I’m satisfied to find so many helpful information here within the put up, we want work out extra strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing..

Android Training in Chennai

Post a Comment